New Zealand citizens who visit from a visa waiver country can apply for an NZeTA online beforehand. This is mandatory for a New Zealand visa-free tourism, business, or transit visit.
Those in the airline industry, including crew members and pilots, are also recommended to apply for a Crew eTA.
Those exempt from applying for an eTA include:
– Australian citizens
– The crew on a foreign ship carrying cargo
– Guests of the New Zealand Government
– Foreign citizens traveling under The Antarctic Treaty
– Members of a visiting force and associated crew members
– Permanent residents of Australia will need to apply for an eTA but are not required to pay the associated tourist levy.